A CPR pocket mask is also known as a pocket face mask or a CPR mask. It is a medical device that is used for delivering rescue breaths in an emergency situation (such as during cardiac or pulmonary arrest). A CPR pocket mask is a simple device that can be carried easily in a first aid box. The air is administered by a responder through a one-way filter. Nowadays, masks with disposable filters are also available that are more efficient and safe. Some masks also have a tube that ensures oxygen administration to the person in need.
Here you will learn how to use a CPR pocket mask the right way:
1. Remove the mask from its packaging/casing. Mostly, the pocket masks come in a hard case.
- Push the pocket mask open by putting your fingers on the inside and extending it outside.
- The pocket masks goes on the top of the face of the patient. The pointed part of the mask must be at the chin of the patient.
- The breath are given through the one-way valve. The valve keeps the responder separated from the patient.
- If the mask has an oxygen inlet then keep in mind to also let this inlet open.
Care must be taken in properly positioning the mask on the patients face. The mask should be sealed so that no breathes are wasted. The one-way valve is not reusable, it must be taken off and replaced. The mask after sterilization can be used again.